[kwlug-disc] web to print

Wed Mar 31 12:58:43 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 31 March 2010 12:40:13 pm Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> I need to secure some sensitive information coming in from a website,
> probably by getting it to hardcopy as fast as I can.
>
> If I have a webserver locally here, is there some sort of off the shelf
> functionality that would let me take a web request and force it to a
> local printer?  I've done email to fax before but that's not available
> to me currently.  So I was thinking if I collected data over a web based
> form and then forced that to a printer on submission of the form, that
> would do it. It's the 'form to local printer' part that I'm not sure how
> to address.

You could take the form data, generate a PDF electronically (Perl has modules
to do this for sure, I did this MANY years back) and then simply ship that off
to CUPS.

You could also go a little heavier and save the form data to CSV and use an
OpenOffice macro to load it up into a template and print.

-A.