[kwlug-disc] Hosts....

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 27 11:23:07 EDT 2010

>>1. Did you research other autoresponders and settle on this one? If
so, what were the selection criteria that led to this decision.

I researched several. We settled on this one. It is in PHP. It uses ioncube for obfuscation, which I only half understand. The criteria was that it run on our servers IIS6 PHP4, ASP. My boss is a hard core windows person.

>>Again, Mailman is a great candidate here
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html
This looks great, omni mailer is okay as well, but again I don't want to have this hodgepodge of different technologies; that are hard to setup in windows( I'm not sure my host would do it anyway ), to keep track of. It seems that the bosses requirement of using ASP and building up the existing site might have to go.

>>2.
Are you happy with Windows/IIS/ASP as a platform, or were you forced to
use them because of ASP? Do you want to use Linux here, but you are
hampered by ASP being the blocker?

I don't really like the windows platform. I am inheriting this. The problem being that my boss wrote the site from scratch using asp. I'm sure he has invested a lot of time and effort, and doesn't want to see it wasted. Now he has hired me to keep the site going, as well as, add a lot of  functionality like automailer, and he wants me to put in a authenticated download site with different folders for each user that uses http not ftp.He also seems completely attached to the current look and feel of his site. I just feel that I am putting band aids on stuff. At what point do you cut your losses, and move to a proper CMS? How do I break the news to him?  I showed him a Drupal site I've been playing with on my laptop. I would like to show him some good drupal sites that are in production (any suggestions?).

>>Should I switch hostng companies?

>>Because they are ones providing you with omnimailer? NO
Why?
No It's because I can't change Folder/File permissions myself ( My boss says it's for Windows security reasons ) every time I need to change a permission I have to send an email with the requested changes and it takes anywhere from 1-4 hours. I made a couple of mistakes  setting up omnimailer ., and had to re do some stuff, and it's taking me days to do what should take hours, or even minutes. Also I needed to run a cron job for omnimailer that uses wget, and windows doesn't have cron, or wget, So I had to go find wget for windows and send it to them and explain that on windows cron is called scheduled task. It's like I have to spoon feed them. So 8 hours and 6 emails later my tasks are running. It is frustrating.

Joseph Wennechuk