[kwlug-disc] OT? Running Wifi hotspots sanely

Andrew Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 25 10:00:06 EDT 2010

>> - Do I want to bother with usernames and passwords for the hotspot?
>>   For now I don't think we are bothering to charge for Internet
>>   access. We still could have usernames and passwords for the day, but I
>>   don't know whether this is worth the effort.
>
> If you are scared of someone downloading things they shouldn't, having
> a unique username might be a decent legal defence.

Alternatively, should you be going with a "safe harbour" position. No
authentication, no logging. You are giving a channel out to the
internet and explicitly not trying to track or control what goes
across it.

And this public channel is locked off from you private internet, presumably.

IANAL So the whole "safe harbour" thing may just be an Americanism. Or
not work the say I imagine that it does.

Does anyone know better?

Andrew