[kwlug-disc] OT? Running Wifi hotspots sanely

John Kerr jkerr0102 at rogers.com
Tue Mar 23 17:00:29 EDT 2010

Hi
It was written:
"I actually have been reading about "voucher" systems, which will give
unique time-limited logins for each user. They do not exist for the
current version of pfSense (whose Captive Portal functionality is not
that good, as it turns out). I think in the future we may move in that
direction."

As it came to pass I write:

In order to KYAC in case a user does something you do not want a police
call about, you probably will want a user to do some form of registration.

Robarts Library at u of T has all of the computer terminals locked down.
Unless you have a U of T card, you do not get on. A limited number of Internet
access computers are available after you swipe a UofT Alumni card or your
drivers license in a reader that prints out a login and password for you.

Starbucks has us register with Bell. I think that registration will be the norm
in the near future for any wireless access (is it just a test case away?) and you
are not being paranoid for searching for a security solution.
I think that a Linux box for a gateway should be able to do this very easily.

Could a Drupal site work as a gateway? Register with your e-mail address,
access information is sent to your email address, go to your webmail on a special
"2 minutes and your off" computer to get your login and password.

Best regards,

John