[kwlug-disc] [OT] voip fax/email to fax/ ccards

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Mon Mar 22 09:36:01 EDT 2010

----- "Insurance Squared Inc." <gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
> Is anyone actively using fax on voip successfully, particularly
> asterisk?

Nope, we use Hylafax to send and receive faxes.

> Or perhaps a better question, I need to accept credit cards on a
> website, but not process them.  Any ideas on how to do this?  The last
> time we just used an email to fax gateway to handle credit cards, but
> at that point Golden Triangle Online was advertising 56K dialup for $15 a
> month.  So it's been a while.  I need to accept them, not process them
> (they're processed later, offline).

So who receives the fax? You? If so then having your web server send a fax to a fax gateway only to have that be faxed to you seems a little odd. I suppose it pushes the security off to the email-fax gateway site.

> I suppose the other option is to have the website poke the data to a
> local server here - could I do that and have form submissions
> automatically print locally or something bizarre like that, assuming
> linux machines at each point?  This sounds complicated :).

Here's an idea. How about use GPG to encrypt a message that holds the card number and email it to you. The email address could be one that automatically receives the email, decrypts it and stores it in a safe off-line database. The public server need only to have the public key which can only be decrypted by the private key. It should be far more safe than the email-to-fax method.