[kwlug-disc] Hosting

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Mar 21 11:55:35 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Erik L <erik_list at caneris.com> wrote:

> We use OpenVZ currently. Despite the prevalent opinion of this platform,
> ours isn't the typical OpenVZ deployment and our customers are quite happy
> with the performance. We might be looking at KVM in future as well.

Bummer.

We do LAMP performance tuning for clients often and have anecdotally have
not
seen anyone who is happy with it once they reach a certain load.

One issue I have seen with the last OpenVZ client was the pass through
nature of the file system (vzfs).

Xen on the other hand handles the load well without these issues.

I have a client now who has outgrown the 512MB Xen and looking for a 1 GB. I
would have moved them to you if there was no

I should say that for small sites with not too many page views, it should
not matter
one vs. the other though.

I forgot to mention that we have a free 21 day trial of the VPS available to
> anyone, so you're welcome to try it out. It's the easiest way to experience
> it for yourself without relying on someone's biased opinion of it.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com