[kwlug-disc] Phone Sync? (Was: Re: Todo Lists and task management)

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Mar 16 14:03:59 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 13:18, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Stepping sideways for a moment ...
>
> How / What are you sync'ing to your phone. For that matter what phone?
>
> It sounds like you are actually syncing your phone, vs. data access (via
> web?) to some other computer.

I have a Palm Pre, so it's plain IMAP over data access. The appeal of
simple email here being both up-to-date, as well as not requiring
tethering.

I was a long time PalmOS user and had the Vx (Greatest PDA ever!) and
a T3 (Nice hardware taken to make a device that was worse than the Vx
in every way. But in Colour!). One thing I learned from my experience
was that I absolutely hated syncing my device. I spent quite a lot of
time out of sync, and could only really rely on it for recurring
calendar entries. I spent too much time troubleshooting pilot-link
with USB cradles. It's part of the reason I now only buy standalone
devices (like the current Palm WebOS stuff) or simple devices (My MP3
player shows up as a plain-old-disk).

> kde4 apparently loses pilot-link, so I'm curious.

Interesting. Did the KDE4 PIM suite add features that they just can't
translate across to the PalmOS model (thus saying it's not worth the
time to rework), or is this merely an evaluation of number of devices
requiring pilot-link remaining versus number of developers to keep it
working?

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>