[kwlug-disc] Using SSH to authenticate

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Mar 13 19:26:32 EST 2010

You will always need a second console. You are opening a session on
RelayHost, through which you then get relayed when you ssh localhost
(to RemoteHost). You have two distinct tunnel sets. (If you call the
'unused' tunnel between you and RemoteHost a tunnel.)

The only way to do it in one command would be to have the ssh to
RelayHost specify an initial command of ssh to RemoteHost - you'd be
prompted for the RelayHost password, then immediately prompted for the
RemoteHost password. If all you want is a console, this is perfectly
viable. Except Paul said RelayHost is flaky.

OTOH, doing this would create a viable start to RemoteHost tunnelling
to LocalHost (via an invocation of ssh LocalHost, background) -
LocalHost picks up the phone, the direct tunnel is established. The
first ssh could then be unwound leaving the background tunnel in place
and other connections closed.

The tunnel from RemoteHost to LocalHost would drop when the last
connection is dropped by LocalHost.

It would be easier, and probably just as safe, to open a port on the
firewall directly to RemoteHost, and use certificates (key files).

An advantage of that scenario is you could dynamically map ports. i.e.
While in ssh, ~ to get to an ssh prompt and add another L/R port
mapping. If RemoteHost calls LocalHost in background, I don't think
you can ~ to an ssh prompt. OTOH, you could then ssh back through the
port, which Raul probably does, but things get even stranger, faster.