[kwlug-disc] Multiple disks to single mount point

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Mar 10 17:12:43 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 17:03 -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

> I found that properly unmounting and then powering off the drive
> before unplugging it would preserve the drive letter, e.g. sdb each
> time.

I just umount it. Should I be sending bits to some device in /proc
or /sys to instruct the system to shut down the device as well?

> Give that a shot and see if you can do away with the UUIDs.

It works in theory, but there are other issues. What if I booted with
another device that was probed before this drive? I remove it, swap my
backups, and my device assignment still changes. I'd prefer to stick
with something that is guaranteed to work every time, rather than
something that should probably work most of the time.

Right now I'm mounting everything manually. I want to be able to switch
disks without even having to check the system afterwards.

> Otherwise, adding multiple UUIDs in fstab all pointing to the same
> mount point should be fine, as long as you never connect more than one
> them at a time (unlikely in your case).

I tried this and it didn't work. It worked for the first drive, but it
failed to bother looking for any others. It seems it parsed until it
found a match for the mount point specified, then stopped.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca
w: http://chrisirwin.ca