[kwlug-disc] Multiple disks to single mount point

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Mar 10 17:03:52 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:

> I'm currently using a 3.5" SATA hotswap bay for backups, swapping out a
> drive every week, and swapping a new one in. I'm considering changing
> the UUIDs on my backup filesystems to all be the same, thus I can have
> an entry in /etc/fstab that will work, rather than my current routine of
> manually checking dmesg and mounting/umounting devices directly.
>
> Can anybody think of a negative side of having duplicated UUIDs? You can
> assume I won't have multiple disks connected at a single time.
>
> Or is there a better way to control mounting multiple drives to a common
> mount-point? I tried multiple UUID entries in fstab, but it only looks
> for the first if I tell it to mount /mnt/backup and fails with only the
> second drive connected.

Related observation from some time ago:

When using USB disks, I noticed that Linux will assign an sdX letter to the
drive in sequence if you just plug it in without properly removing it first.
So, a disk will be sdb, then sdc, ..etc.

I found that properly unmounting and then powering off the drive before
unplugging it would preserve the drive letter, e.g. sdb each time.

Give that a shot and see if you can do away with the UUIDs.

Otherwise, adding multiple UUIDs in fstab all pointing to the same mount
point should be fine, as long as you never connect more than one them at a
time (unlikely in your case).
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.