[kwlug-disc] Age of Persuasion

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 22:37:53 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 08:53:04PM -0500, Darcy Casselman wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:
>> > John had a great example of using a RegEx to get the audio files out of the
>> > CBC's Age of Persuaion web site.
>> >
>> > Fortunately, the Internet is made of lazy people who go through great
>> > amounts of work so the rest of us can be lazy.
>> >
>> > http://ageofpersuasionpodcast.blogspot.com/ is the Web site of one such
>> > person.
>>
>> I had the same thought and found another.  This one looks like it's a
>> bit more up-to-date:
>>
>> http://cbcpodcasts.wordpress.com/
>
> Please convince me that this second site is legal. I could
> potentially believe that John's regexp might be legal, but from what I
> can tell CBC does not permit the redistribution of its content. I
> would like to hear evidence to the contrary, because I listen to a lot
> of CBC podcasts and would like to share them from time to time.
>
> The first website looks like it links to the original files, so maybe
> it is okay. The wordpress site looks like it mirrors the content.

I clicked on the MP3 (risking downloading infringing content!) and the
URL redirected to the CBC site.  They're using some sort of Google RSS
proxy service, but the content is coming from the source.

I think they're okay.  Unless crafting your own RSS feeds for someone
else's content is considered redistribution, the case for which could
be made,  I'm sure.

Darcy.