[kwlug-disc] could be the laptop deal of the year

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Jun 26 08:09:13 EDT 2010

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

> A great deal at that price vs. features for sure. Good thing most
> things work. What about sound? Are there decent channels showing in
> the mixer (Master, Speaker, Headphone and Capture at a minimum?)

  at the moment, sadly, i have no sound but it's not high on my list
of priorities to deal with that.  in the end, what i was after was the
1600x900 resolution, big disk, HW virt support and HDMI port.  the
screen res alone was worth my paying $599 for this thing.  the intel
core i3 CPU and getting DDR3 memory -- that was just a bonus.

> We had an audio issue with the Core i3 350M Toshiba that I mentioned
> earlier when booting from the Kubuntu 10.04 CD. Wireless (Atheros)
> worked great, the screen native resolution was recognized
> (1366x768). Only the sound had a problem.

  sounds familiar, i may have to bug you when the time comes when i
start to care.  until then, i'm immersed in writing, editing,
openembedded and some virtualization stuff.  so sound can wait.

  so far, i'm pretty happy with this thing.

rday

p.s.  i'm still miffed that i saw a refurbed system at staples over a
month ago, really liked it, waffled on it, finally went back a few
weeks later and it had been sold *two days earlier*.

  hp, intel core i7, 6G DDR3 RAM, 7200 RPM 640G hard drive, 1600x900,
HDMI, eSATA, ... $899.  that would have been sweet but i'm not
complaining.

                        http://crashcourse.ca