[kwlug-disc] Video killed the radio star/netbook battle

John Kerr jkerr0102 at rogers.com
Wed Jun 23 23:17:53 EDT 2010

Here is a posting from the Rochester LUG:

At a meeting I attended last night a friend and I were really bored.

She has a Toshiba netbook with Windows 7 and I
have an EEE 1005HAB

with Ubuntu Network Edition.

So we decided to have netbook races.

First system to login prompt.

First to be fully up.

First to connect to the local free wifi.

First to boot and open a browser and go to the meeting website.

First to boot and run a flash in youtube.  A few others.  You get the

picture, we were bored, she's an engineer, I'm an engineer so we have

to race.

As you might guess, my EEE even with an older cpu just smoked the Win

7 system.  In every way.  What you have to do to get connected to a

free wifi network.... What a pain.  Plus in comparison to the logical

beauty that is the UNE desktop the Win 7 looks cluttery. Her words.

She's going to bring her system over this weekend for me to wipe and

install UNE.

I don't see much info on this system with Ubuntu.  Anybody have an
experience?

The WOW continues beyond Vista

Where is all the knowledge we lost with information? -- T.S. Elliot.
John Eddie Kerr | Guelph, Ontario