[kwlug-disc] [OT] Google sniffing wifi, collecting emails and passwords.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Jun 23 22:10:01 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 21:37 -0400, Chris Frey wrote:

> just like leaking
> your MAC address to your neighbours and to Google is a choice.

I suppose leaking your MAC address is a choice, but it's impossible to
use WiFi without leaking your MAC address.  Even when your signal is
encrypted, and even when your SSID is invisible, the router's MAC
address will still be broadcast.

I suppose it is possible to change the MAC address to a Locally
Administered Address, but it will still be broadcast.  I suppose it is
possible to change the MAC address by regularly scheduled cron job, but
that makes it darned difficult to auto-connect (which, I guess, is the
point).

--Bob.