[kwlug-disc] [OT] Google sniffing wifi, collecting emails and passwords.

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Jun 21 21:37:44 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 09:15:11PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> 	A debit transaction is a private, personal, interaction between two
> (a few?) parties. It is reasonable to expect the information only to
> be used for the purposes of making the transaction, and nothing else.
> Not marketing, not credit reporting, not anything else.

Exactly.  But my point is that you're still helping to destroy your own
privacy by letting your every transaction have an ID attached to it.
This is a choice, whether conscious or not, just like leaking
your MAC address to your neighbours and to Google is a choice.

If I were Google, it would probably be a very good idea for me to destroy
such data.  But I'm also not ignorant of the fact that there are lots
of companies that would jump at the chance to do what Google did, and
do it to us everyday.  In such an environment, we need to at least
acknowledge the areas that we are helping them use us.

- Chris