[kwlug-disc] netbooks without windows

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 15:53:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Johnny F <hyperflexed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anyone could make a recommendation on the best place to get
> a notebook without windows in Canada. I need the netbook primarily for
> my electronics bench (writing code, flashing microcontrollers), and
> secondarily as a lightweight laptop for browsing the internet when I
> leave home and don't want to carry a 10 pound laptop around (which is
> also huge and power hungry).
>
> Places I've looked:
>
>  - Dell:
>        seems they only offer the ubuntu option in the states.
>        Haven't had much luck getting Dell Canada to offer me a
>        non-windows netbook.
>
>  - System76:
>        based in the states. They have nice a nice ubuntu netbook
>        but the high international shipping costs make it somewhat
>        cost-prohibitive. (over $100 for a $360 netbook)

I've got a Dell Mini 9, and like it a lot.  Some quibbles with the
hardware, but no problems with the price or the purchasing experience.

I also have a laptop (not a netbook) from System76.  Yeah, the
shipping and brokerage fees are deadly.  But I like them a lot and may
consider buying from the again anyway.  Probably not for a $300
netbook, though.

There's also ZaReason (http://zareason.com), which I haven't tried.

This site has reviews of netbooks running Linux: http://www.linux-netbook.com/

Personally, I prefer to support vendors that support Linux and free
software.  We need hardware vendors to support Linux device driver
development.  They won't do that if people just keep buying Windows.

Darcy.