[kwlug-disc] netbooks without windows

Johnny F hyperflexed at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 14:39:37 EDT 2010

note: I sent this a number of times without it showing up on the list,
I apologize if this is a duplicate.

Wondering if anyone could make a recommendation on the best place to get
a notebook without windows in Canada. I need the netbook primarily for
my electronics bench (writing code, flashing microcontrollers), and
secondarily as a lightweight laptop for browsing the internet when I
leave home and don't want to carry a 10 pound laptop around (which is
also huge and power hungry).

Places I've looked:

 - Dell:
	seems they only offer the ubuntu option in the states.
	Haven't had much luck getting Dell Canada to offer me a
	non-windows netbook.

 - System76:
	based in the states. They have nice a nice ubuntu netbook
	but the high international shipping costs make it somewhat
	cost-prohibitive. (over $100 for a $360 netbook)

Ideally this netbook would be in the $300-500 range. Any help or
experiences you can offer would be greatly appreciated. If it was also
available in Canada that would be ideal.