[kwlug-disc] [OT] Google sniffing wifi, collecting emails and passwords.

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 16:34:17 EDT 2010

You'd be subject to some rather large fines if you did.

Passive data collection isn't the same as walking into someone's
house.  There were sites around (not sure if there still are) that
mapped open wifi networks in cities.  Isn't that the same thing?  Or
is it different that this is Google.

I don't think they're doing it for "commercial purposes."  The direct
commercial upside of mapping open wifi is miniscule.  And assuming
that they're doing it for commerce isn't thinking like Google.  There
is research potential, however.  That sounds more like Google to me.
Yeah, ultimately, that research will be used to make Google more
money.  Somehow.  But I doubt they'll sell the data to anyone.

Darcy.