[kwlug-disc] USB3 expectations? (was: Re: USB3 on Linux)

Fri Jun 18 21:27:54 EDT 2010

On Friday, June 18, 2010 04:40:52 pm Chris Irwin wrote:
> As you had mentioned, SSDs are able to saturate SATA-II links already,
> so right there is a need (desire) for more speed.

Unless both the source and destination drive can saturate the link there is no
clear advantage to worrying about "moar powah".

> http://gallery.techarena.in/data/513/367.jpg

Ok that is nifty.

> eSATA drives need a separate source for power, versus one power+data
> cord for USB.

Indeed. I have a really nice rocketfish 2.5" usb 2.0/esata drive bay. I love
it, but I hate that it's not powered esata.

Still, even with USB 2.0 I run Windows XP VirtualBox instances on it and I
really don't notice any significant slowdown, so YMMV.

-A.