[kwlug-disc] USB3 on Linux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jun 18 11:54:43 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Steven Stillaway <steve at stillaway.net>wrote:

>  Well, I am using an ASUS U3S6 PCI card on a linux server.
>
> It is recognized fine by the kernel and works well for SATA.  For USB, I
> have plugged in USB2 devices for testing and it works, but I don't actually
> own and USB 3 devices to test them with.

Does dmesg show that it is different and that it is USB3 not USB2? Or does
it just degrade gracefully to USB2 and that is what Linux shows?

> I got it because I required the SATA port and thought having the USB 3 for
> the future would be a good idea.
>
> So, other then the fact that the kernel recognized it and works with no
> problems I don't have too much to report.

Something I would be interested in is transfer speed from a hard drive. Is
it really that different on USB3 from USB2, or will it be the same? Anyone
else has USB3 devices and can share the info?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.