[kwlug-disc] Future short presentations

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Wed Jun 9 11:19:27 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com>
> wrote:
> > I think we can do a night (or part of it) on backups.
>
> I see problems.
>
> A theme night of short presentations includes our unresolved, "How do
> we keep everybody on schedule and still get the best from them." The
> theme night introduces an additional, "How well do the different
> presenters coordinate to provide enough background for their subject
> without repeating each other." Sounds like an additional burden of
> inter-speaker coordination is required to carry this off. Not a show
> stopper, but extra work.
>
> Split the theme over multiple meetings and as long as following
> speakers saw previous speakers they can build or cross reference
> appropriately.
>
> Isn't one advantage of short presentations that the topics change for
> wider interest? Short presentation theme night removes that.
>
> Didn't we have backups recently?

I think I agree with Richard. My take is that a theme night isn't as good as a thread over a few months.

People who have no interest in backup will come for the other presentations and might actually appreciate the 20 minute backup presentation.

Richard makes a good point about sequencing. Keeping presentations in a thread would give subsequent speakers a cue to work on without repeating. To schedule sequence may add extra overhead and might not even be required.

A backup sequence like "backup concepts" followed in subsequent months with a few different backup types would work.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware