[kwlug-disc] final form of proposed online kernel programmering course

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jun 8 10:38:56 EDT 2010

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Chris Irwin wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 08:19, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Online_beginner%27s_kernel_programming_course
>
> I haven't been following the ongoing thread of your development of
> the course format (the list volume went to eleven at the same time),
> so forgive me if my question was answered:

  no problem.

> Will you be covering debugging kernel issues as well?

  to some extent, yes.  i want to emphasize that this is a course for
*beginners* so there will definitely be a limit as to how far i'm
going to push each topic.  i'm sure everyone who takes the course will
have their own gripe about the fact that i didn't cover precisely what
they wanted but that's life.

  and i was just chatting with a colleague this morning who suggested
that a course in nothing but kernel debugging would, in fact, be a
viable followup course.  but there will be *some* basic debugging
techniques in this first course.

> Will you be posting a syllabus?

  at some point, yes, with the understanding that it might evolve
slightly as the course is being delivered.  but i'll be able to post a
list of all the major topics that will be covered in that first
course.

> Will the first-run students (those taking the course while you are
> writing it) be guiding lessons? Example: Your rough plan is X, Y,
> then Z. Some people are having trouble with X, so the next lesson
> will cover more X before moving on to Y. Or is that something that
> will be hashed out in the comments section?

  i'll play it by ear.  i already have a good idea of what i want to
present but if something turns out to be presented badly, i'll fix it.
i can't be any more specific than saying that i'll be open to any and
all feedback.

> I really like the comments idea. It would be nice if you had a
> maillist or a forum associated as well so there could be some
> discussion around things that are not specifically related to a
> particular lesson (and thus clogging up a lesson's comments section
> with unrelated chatter).

  i already had plans for mailing lists on a per-course basis open
only to registered students.  and whatever else aids the education
process.

  hope that clarifies things somewhat.

rday