[kwlug-disc] final form of proposed online kernel programmering course

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Jun 8 09:22:42 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 08:19, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Online_beginner%27s_kernel_programming_course

I haven't been following the ongoing thread of your development of the
course format (the list volume went to eleven at the same time), so
forgive me if my question was answered:

Will you be covering debugging kernel issues as well? In the context
of the stuff you're developing I assume. The reason I ask is that I am
interested in learning some kernel development (So yes, I'll pay the
$39 gladly. In cash, in person if necessary). But after having
recently had to debug a hang during boot, I would also like to know a
bit more about finding out where problems come from, how to properly
capture debug info (we were jotting notes from the screen), etc.

Will you be posting a syllabus? Will the first-run students (those
taking the course while you are writing it) be guiding lessons?
Example: Your rough plan is X, Y, then Z. Some people are having
trouble with X, so the next lesson will cover more X before moving on
to Y. Or is that something that will be hashed out in the comments
section?

I really like the comments idea. It would be nice if you had a
maillist or a forum associated as well so there could be some
discussion around things that are not specifically related to a
particular lesson (and thus clogging up a lesson's comments section
with unrelated chatter).

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>