[kwlug-disc] what would you pay for good kernel documentation?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Jun 6 04:25:21 EDT 2010

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, unsolicited wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 06/05/2010 11:45 PM:
> >   i'm going to take that beginner kernel programming content and turn
> > it into an actual online *course*.  ...
>
> I doubt that there's a real market for this.
>
> Or, at least, one that isn't already satisfied out there, and
> probably for free. If you want to trial it, as you seem to imply,
> you might offer it through the kernel group.
>
> I think the biggest reason why I don't think it will work is the
> nature of the material and the student. Any student taking such
> material is likely going to be a 'keener', and they'll probably want
> to chew through the material, with great enthusiasm, as fast as
> possible. Spreading it out over a month will probably be a
> detriment, vs. as fast as they can consume it.

... snip ...

  i realize this might flop completely.  i just posted this new
proposal to the kernel newbies list and i'll wait to see what they
think.  i also specifically mentioned that it would *not* be available
all in one chunk because i *want* the freedom to write it over time
and be able to incorporate feedback from earlier lessons in later
ones, so the proposal would be a new lesson approximately every week.

  and if someone is really that keen to do it all in one sitting, they
can just ignore the course over its six months and subscribe when it's
done, at which point they can cover all the material as fast as they
want. :-)

  anyway, i'll still think about this based on what people are telling
me but, in the end, maybe the only way to know if this is viable is to
just do it and see what happens.

rday