[kwlug-disc] what would you pay for good kernel documentation?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jun 5 20:04:09 EDT 2010

Ralph Janke wrote, On 06/05/2010 7:25 PM:
> If you would to make money in a marketplace, you first need to understand
> the marketplace itself, and  maybe even more important, your
> customers.

First - an interesting and fascinating discussion, thank you all.

Second - Rob, if I'm reading this thread correctly, they seem to be
saying either that the methods you propose (which the thread suggests
you should expand into having ads on your site, in addition to, or
instead of, paypal, et al) is attended by a different customer set
than you are used to (so have different needs than you are used to, or
currently inclined to, satisfy). And/or to accomplish more 'success'
(by your definition, money in your pocket, no bad thing) you might
find it more rewarding to engage a different customer set than you are
currently used to. If you end up considering these ideas, do please
comment here. It would be most interesting to hear your thoughts on
the nature of the beastie, or beasties, i.e. different customer
'groups', what they're looking for, and how one goes about satisfying
them - such that you achieve 'success.' Not looking for trade secrets,
but I think we're all trying to grapple with just what this 'open
source thing' is all about. It won't be black and white, nor one size
fits all, so reading about your thoughts and approach would be most
interesting.