[kwlug-disc] what would you pay for good kernel documentation?

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 5 19:25:55 EDT 2010

I agree with Khalid.

If you would to make money in a marketplace, you first need to understand
the marketplace itself, and  maybe even more important, your
customers.

In particular, you should create a value for your customers that is not
easily obtainable through other cheaper means. Certainly, sometimes
convenience is worth a premium, however, you have to know what
kind of convenience you need to offer, and how much it is worth
for your customers.

In regard to your disappointment about other open source people. You
may ask yourself in which way your expectations are realistic. Open
Source is based in big parts on the system of sharing. You get paid
*before* you ever contribute anything back by using contributions
of others who never get paid monetarily by you.

This creates synergies, that you can monetize in other ways. Consulting
work, or training work are only a couple of possibilities of indirect
monetizing of your experience that you have gained in the Open Source
community. You also may be considered for a particular job or
promotion for your knowledge gained by making contributions to
the Open Source Community.

Furthermore, we are all social beings. Hence social credit can often be
a lot more worth than monetary rewards. If your website is good, people
probably blog about it, more and more people will visit it, and you may be
able to even monetize from that through advertising. You also may be
opening yourself up opportunities that you would not have otherwise, but
because of being known in the community through your contributions.

The advantage of community credit is that often it allows you more to do
what your own interest is. If you want to be paid, you often have to refuse
to follow your own interests and instead tune into the interests of your
customers, regardless if you like it or not.

As you see, there are lot of different ways of dealing with this issue.
However, one of the important decisions is your ability to clearly see
which path works for you.

Just my 2c, hope they help a bit

Ralph