[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jun 4 23:36:04 EDT 2010

Lori Paniak wrote, On 06/04/2010 11:24 PM:
> but they don't have a right to maximize profit.

Of course they do. You want to see their content? They'll permit you
to, but only under their 'licensing' terms. If you don't like their
terms, you don't get to watch the content.

That's their right.

Of course they have the right to maximize profit - it's part of the
point of having a business or product.

That's part of the point of the bill - people breaking their
protection mechanisms, against the minimal rights they're willing to
provide in what they sell.

Fair use has nothing to do with this.

Part of the points of contention here, and in many other areas, is no
reasonable person would expect certain things, but as soon as they
crack open the shrinkwrap ...

Like buying a piece of poor software ... there's no redress. No
holding to account. But buy a toaster that doesn't toast ...

Why is the content industry, including software, held to different
standards. How the heck did we get here?

In Canada, we hold that we can take that content and back it up to
different media. Industry holds a different view, and wants to take
that right away.