[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Jun 4 23:24:18 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 22:56 -0400, Ralph Janke wrote:
> I am just thinking. The C-32 bill will also make it illegal
> to unlock physical devices and do what you want with
> them.
>
> I.e. it would make it illegal to unlock an iPad and run
> your own OS on it, since it is illegal to circumvent a
> protection method (i.e. the locking of a device) and
> the device itself is under copyright, therefore the
> access to it is now an infringement of the new
> bill.
>
> Similar could be said to all kinds of other devices.

While that certainly comes close to my definition of insanity, it does
not bother me much.  It just means these devices are not on my shopping
list.  So long as there are open alternatives, I will choose them.  If
Apple doesn't want to give me privileges (previously) associated with
ownership, they don't deserve my money.

What does bother me are the kids wanting to watch the latest Pixar movie
but not being able to play it back on the Mythbox.  Disney clearly has a
monopoly on that title; are they not abusing it by dictating on which
devices I can watch it?  How are their rights diminished by the css
decoder I use?  Yes, they might make more money with one over the other,
but they don't have a right to maximize profit.  I already bought (the
license to watch) the DVD, what else do they want from me?