[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jun 4 20:59:45 EDT 2010

Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) wrote, On 06/04/2010 8:51 PM:
> On Friday, June 04, 2010 08:32:02 pm John Van Ostrand wrote:
>> I wish. Take your shiny new HDTV with it's sexy high-speed digital HDMI
>> port. See that same port on your Blu-ray player? Yup encrypted with HDCP.
>> You want to capture off your Blu Ray player you better pay the HDMI group
>> for a key. What's that they won't give you one?
>>
>> Additionally, the HDMI group can make the HDMI port on your TV useless to
>> your Blu-ray player, remotely.  That spec I've read and it's true. Oh sure
>> they would be fools to disable all the Panasonic TVs out there, but then
>> why's it there if they don't intend to use it?
>>
>> I voted with my money without knowing it.
>
> You don't want to caputre the raw HD stream anyway, you want the encoded
> content, just sans lock.
>
> (yes, an aside, I know.)

It's not an aside, it's exactly what we're talking about - we want to
have that content go by and be able to take out the broadcast flag /
locking bit / whatever.

If I remember past list conversations, to John's point ... the process
can also cause your Blu-Ray player to be bricked. A later DVD causing
a key list update on the player revoking a key for a DVD you bought
prior. It would be stupid to revoke those keys, but as John says,
there's nothing preventing them from doing it.

And, coding mistakes happen, we all know. When that mistake gets out,
and you can't play your prior DVD, even if a mistake, how do you get a
correction? Buy yet another DVD?

<sigh>