[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jun 4 20:55:02 EDT 2010

John Van Ostrand wrote, On 06/04/2010 8:26 PM:
> I don't know how much industry lobby is here. I think the lobby had
> it's impact with the US and the crafting of the WIPO treaty. I
> imagine the lobby with Canada is resistable. At least I hope
> everyone on this list will tell their MP that.

There's a good point - if politicians feel they must pass this type of
law to be in compliance and consistent with the rest of the world,
then counter-arguments are (a) we don't have to be in compliance with
the rest of the world [It irks that the media reports Canada is a
haven for such criminals, without pointing out that they really aren't
criminals.] (b) we don't like the treaty and won't participate in the
farce.

Problem: Lack of compliance in this treaty means others will not
comply with other treaties that are important to Canada. Tit for tat.
Protectionism, and retaliatory action.

The scope of the pressure on politicians for this bill far exceeds the
scope of this bill itself.