[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jun 4 19:40:37 EDT 2010

Chris Frey wrote, On 06/04/2010 7:13 PM:
> But the industry's desired impact is incompatible with the public's needs
> and rights.

The public has no need or rights except those that they grant or deny
themselves through parliament. (Not strictly true - you have the right
to do anything that isn't prohibited.)

The industry, understandably, is advocating their monopoly and
preservation and increase of their profits.

If all politics is a compromise ...

Like I said, immovable object, unstoppable force. Or chicken and egg.

If this bill keeps coming back, and the digital lock issue is still
present, and it will keep coming back until industry gets its way ...
you must change industry such that they stop putting so much pressure
on politicians, so politicians can vote down the current proposal.

Some industry acceptable compromise must be reached or this issue will
never go away.

I don't like it, and I don't know how to solve it, but I suspect the
is all true.