[kwlug-disc] Posting without subscribing to the KWLUG-Help list

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 2 14:36:46 EDT 2010

John Van Ostrand wrote, On 06/02/2010 2:19 PM:

> [...]

Personally, I don't think so. Especially, as it's just not that hard.
All they have to do is read the screen. Granted - I long ago lost
count of users asking for help that didn't read the error message
popup that went flying by.

> If they don't join, will then eventually be disappointed with their
> success with FOSS? Which is easier signing up for a mailing list or
> registering with a forum?

I don't think either is easier. But an e-mail list requires an e-mail
signup procedure, and a web forum is a web interface. Does that matter
/ is that 'harder'?

> By having them join a list they join the community. It also acts as
> a very small barrier to asking a question. But it may be enough of
> a barrier to prevent nuisance questions.

Agreed.

 > I mean, lots of people
> need help with FOSS and may litter Internet forums and other lists
> with questions replicated across many sites.

And the nuisance questions are a whole lot easier to ignore on a web
forum than in e-mail.

 > I think the idea of a
> forum has some merit, since it can be joined and left without the
> day-to-day deluge of messages. For me they are not very helpful
> since I rarely can remember to visit often enough. The push
> technology of mailing lists works way better.

You don't find optional equivalent e-mail / push technology within
forums today?

I dare say you're different than the average new user. You know to ask
very specific questions, regardless of the mechanism, and know to
quickly search the available help facilities before posing a question.
Presumably not true of the new user, yet.

OTOH, your role here would be as answerer - would the usual forum
e-mail notification that a question has been posed be sufficient to
remind you to go to the web? Typically the notification e-mail has the
link right in it.

> I also know from personal experience that non-subscriber posts to
> mailling lists invariably results in lots of spam to be deleted.

Which is much easier to ignore on the web than in e-mail.

> It's also a role where quick turn-around is expected. I like my
> lists that require membership to post, that way my admin duties
> involve deleting those messages in bulk when they begin to use too
> much disk space.

Does this not all really bring us back to a central question - what
kind of new user are we trying to provide for? What are their
characteristics? Mom, who has never used a mouse or e-mail before, or
the new linux user brave enough to chance having to use a command
line, or somewhere in between. The latter implies Windows / Internet
experience, to search, and familiarity with keyboard and mouse use.
Even better - someone trying a Live CD, or trying a linux vm?

My two biggest challenges with my first Linux install:
- having another machine around when it didn't 'just work' to search
the web for answers.
- getting the gui up the first time (default resolution chosen ok, but
refresh rate incompatible with the monitor). I had 'dpkg --reconfigure
xserver-xorg' on a post-it note on the side of my desk for the longest
time.