[kwlug-disc] on the lookout for a high-end 1600x900 display laptop

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 2 14:18:26 EDT 2010

Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 06/02/2010 1:30 PM:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, unsolicited wrote:
>
>> Are you sure you need the 1600x900 24x7? e.g. When you're out and
>> about?
>>
>> Does it make any sense / is it at all useful to only gain that
>> resolution on an external monitor when you're at your desk?
>
>   i'm constantly away from my desk so, yes, i'd really prefer high-res
> on the laptop.  i'm just not prepared to spend stupidly to get it.

To Lori's point -

FWIW, I VNC into home from my little Asus eee 1201n (12") [dual core
atom, nvidia, dvi out, 1366x768 native], and at home VNC all about the
house. If the laptop screen isn't quite big enough, the VNC screen
gets scaled - e.g. to 88%, giving me a non-scrolling VNC window on
computers with screens bigger than the laptops.

And if you're only using command line, is ssh and paul's 'screen'
viable? I can appreciate wanting the power and screen size and not the
weight / bulk.

Time for a desktop to do the heavy lifting, and laptop with a smaller
screen / on the road development the rest of the time?