[kwlug-disc] on the lookout for a high-end 1600x900 display laptop

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jun 2 08:51:24 EDT 2010

  i desperately need to upgrade my laptop at this point -- mostly for
display resolution and horsepower.  i spend a lot of time editing and
compiling and my current laptop is really dragging.

  i normally keep my eyes open for open box/refurbished units since
i've had excellent luck with those and saved quite a few dollars.  a
few weeks ago, i ran across a nifty refurbed HP at staples:

  * intel core i7
  * 640GB 7200 rpm HD
  * 6GB DDR3 RAM
  * 1600x900 screen

for less than $900.  i agonized, finally went back yesterday and ...
it had been sold two days before.  grrrrrrrrr.  (i'd even taken in a
ubuntu CD and booted live and it worked fine.)

  so ... if anyone around here happens across a deal like that, please
let me know.  i'll go back to being patient and wait for another
spectacular deal like that to come along.