[kwlug-disc] Quit Facebook Day..

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Jun 2 00:15:01 EDT 2010

And also http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10128476.stm

=====

      Facebook challenged by ambitious upstarts

    By Jonathan Frewin Technology reporter, BBC News

    The controversy over Facebook's privacy policy is helping those
    developing alternatives to the social network.

    Funding and users are flowing to services that claim to put members
    in charge of their personal data.

    The rivals range from start-ups to more established firms working on
    the specifications for an ecosystem of open social networks

    [...]

    ...yet another potential rival to Facebook.

    That company is called StatusNet, which itself has created social
    networking software in use by 25,000 sites, with more than 1.5
    million user accounts, according to Evan Prodromou, the company's head.

    "Any StatusNet site lets people from other (OStatus
    standards-compliant) sites follow the users there", he said.

    "The open protocols that we use mean our software works with much
    higher-profile services, like Google Buzz, Posterous, LiveJournal,
    WordPress, and Tumblr."
    [...]

=====