[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jun 1 21:49:54 EDT 2010

Adam Glauser wrote, On 06/01/2010 9:25 PM:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>> Chris Frey wrote, On 06/01/2010 6:15 PM:

>>> I disagree, but perhaps I'm too optimistic about consumer brain power.
>> People buy Windows don't they? And probably do this even, this day, after
>> the Google announcement of dropping Windows as "it's not safe."
>> (paraphrased).
>
> I think the people you're describing buy computers, not Windows.
> Microsoft has been enormously successful convincing the makers of PCs
> to bundle their hardware with Windows.  I don't think most people
> really know that there is an alternative.

I agree that that used to be true. I don't think it is any more.
People know Linux is out there (but not what it is / how to buy it).
People know they can buy a Mac, easily, instead of Windows. [Whether
or not they want to is a different question.]

> Just look at what happened with netbooks.  Lots of netbook
> manufacturers had a Linux version and a Windows version, often with
> the Windows version priced higher.  This was what many people said for
> a long time was needed to end Windows' dominance of the consumer
> computer market - make the MS tax obvious, and people will at least
> try the cheaper alternative.
>
> Lots of people didn't understand what they were choosing, and didn't
> like that they had an unfamiliar UI.  Now most netbooks are sold with
> Windows only.  I think the mobile market is more likely to lead to an
> increase in Linux adoption, mostly because people aren't expecting a
> "computer", so they aren't put off when it doesn't have a start menu
> with the Windows logo.

Close, I think. People don't expect, let alone want, to run Windows on
their cell.

But, to your accurate point, I wish the Linux netbook adoption was /
had been more successful.

And to my point, saying 'Linux' isn't going to get us there. It hasn't
been working, and we're getting the same result. I wishfully wish we
were getting better results.