[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 21:25:35 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Chris Frey wrote, On 06/01/2010 6:15 PM:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 05:40:38PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>>> "Mr. Retailer - I hear that Linux is better than Windows, I'd like to buy
>>> one. What will it cost me?"
>>>
>>> Either, the jaw will drop and the salesbeast will walk away, or 2 hours
>>> of conversation later the customer will walk away in disgust at the
>>> complexity and give up. "Why can't you just give me the Linux box I've asked
>>> to buy? Just forget it."
>>>
>>> It matters. At least to the point where walking in and saying "Give me
>>> one of those." is a palatable buying experience.
>>

>> I disagree, but perhaps I'm too optimistic about consumer brain power.
>
> People buy Windows don't they? And probably do this even, this day, after
> the Google announcement of dropping Windows as "it's not safe."
> (paraphrased).

I think the people you're describing buy computers, not Windows.
Microsoft has been enormously successful convincing the makers of PCs
to bundle their hardware with Windows.  I don't think most people
really know that there is an alternative.

Just look at what happened with netbooks.  Lots of netbook
manufacturers had a Linux version and a Windows version, often with
the Windows version priced higher.  This was what many people said for
a long time was needed to end Windows' dominance of the consumer
computer market - make the MS tax obvious, and people will at least
try the cheaper alternative.

Lots of people didn't understand what they were choosing, and didn't
like that they had an unfamiliar UI.  Now most netbooks are sold with
Windows only.  I think the mobile market is more likely to lead to an
increase in Linux adoption, mostly because people aren't expecting a
"computer", so they aren't put off when it doesn't have a start menu
with the Windows logo.