[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Jun 1 18:15:31 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 05:40:38PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Good luck with that.
>
> "Mr. Retailer - I hear that Linux is better than Windows, I'd like to
> buy one. What will it cost me?"
>
> Either, the jaw will drop and the salesbeast will walk away, or 2
> hours of conversation later the customer will walk away in disgust at
> the complexity and give up. "Why can't you just give me the Linux box
> I've asked to buy? Just forget it."
>
> It matters. At least to the point where walking in and saying "Give me
> one of those." is a palatable buying experience.

I disagree, but perhaps I'm too optimistic about consumer brain power.

To me, your example above, is like saying "I want to buy a car" and
then getting discouraged that there is choice.

Linux is not a brand name the same way as "iPod Touch" or "iPad" is.
And it's not supposed to be.  It is fine to want to buy a "Toyota"
and then later realize that you have to choose between "Prius",
"Camry", "Lexus", "Tercel", etc.

It is unfair to expect simplicity in a new area while overlooking the
complexity you're already accustomed to.

And if a store only sells Ubuntu desktops, and the customer asks for Linux,
sell it to them! :-)  It's a sales problem, not a Linux problem.

- Chris