[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jun 1 17:40:38 EDT 2010

Chris Frey wrote, On 06/01/2010 4:40 PM:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 04:14:27PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>> This gets annoying ... they keep saying Mac or Linux.
>>
>> Which Linux?
>
> Why does it matter?
>
> That's an implementation detail, the same as when people use Windows or
> Mac or if they move an application to the web.  Any browser should work.
> Both XP or Windows 7 should work.  Any version of Mac should work.
>
> When it comes to office tasks, or even development, any Linux distro
> should work.

Good luck with that.

"Mr. Retailer - I hear that Linux is better than Windows, I'd like to
buy one. What will it cost me?"

Either, the jaw will drop and the salesbeast will walk away, or 2
hours of conversation later the customer will walk away in disgust at
the complexity and give up. "Why can't you just give me the Linux box
I've asked to buy? Just forget it."

It matters. At least to the point where walking in and saying "Give me
one of those." is a palatable buying experience.