[kwlug-disc] Is there, in fact, a Linux training market out there?

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Tue Jun 1 07:43:18 EDT 2010

I have no experience in that market,but do believe the training market
is competitive.  I would suggest the following three things for
consideration:
- target corporations who may pay to send their ee's.
- target or create credentials
- package niche packages, like rather than linux training, run sessions
on apache.  Or how to set up and admin a mail server for a busy ISP or
large corp.  Or whatever else it is that people use linux for in
corporate environments.

Part of the problem may be (I'm guessing) is that linux us mostly self
taught then pulled into the corps rather than the corp deciding to 'go'
linux and pushing their employees out to train them (which I think they
do with MS products).  So corps hire linux people with existing skills
rather than paying to train them.  Which brings up another maybe - are
there 'upgrades' you can sell to linux ee's?  Like, office 2007 comes
out so you create a course people can take for when the corp rolls out
office 2007.  What's the upgrade counterpart in linux?

And lastly, one can always try delivering this stuff online rather than
in person, create canned courses one can take whenever/wherever they want.