[kwlug-disc] Access rights to file/folder

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Thu Jul 29 12:02:08 EDT 2010

At 10:19 2010-07-29, John Van Ostrand wrote:
>I'm not sure of the proper terms, but I would use "traditional unix
>permissions" or posix permissions to describe the "-rw-rw-rw user
>group" permissions that you see when you run "ls -l" and posix ACLs
>for the access control lists that you see when you run "getfacl *"
>
>Traditional permissions allow for only three classifications of
>people: user, group and others whereas ACLs allow a more complex list.

IIRC The descriptions of the traditional permissions "-rw-rw-rw" are
world(others), group, and user - in that order - reading from left to
right. For executables and if the "-" is replaced with an "x", the
file can be executed.

Again IIRC, for directories(folders) and if the "-" is replaced with
an "x", the directory can be traversed, i.e. can be an intermediate
directory in a path to another directory which has both "x" and "r"
attributes.

As I am unfamiliar with the sticky bit, the setgid bit and with ACL,
I am following this thread closely.

John