[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:00:30 EDT 2010

I have asked this question before, and I am not sure I have ever heard a
definitive answer, but this is what I don't understand about GPL software
distribution.

If I create code "derived" from existing GPL'd code I need to licence it
GPL.  Which makes sense.  If I choose to sell the code, for say $100, I have
the right.  And under the GPL when I distribute the software I am required
to grant access to the source code for my code and the pre-existing code.

The question is this.  If I sell 10 copies of the software, am I not only
required to provide access to the source code to those 10 customers.  If
some guy sends me an email stating that he/she wants the source under the
terms of the GPL, what obligation do I have to give it to them?  I know that
one of the 10 people I sold it to now have the right to do that, but I am
not required to identify them, am I?

Brent