[kwlug-disc] Linux viruses [was: Linus viruses]

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 20:43:13 EDT 2010

--- On Tue, 7/27/10, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
> "how to write a linux virus")
>
> 1 - http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229
> (Abstract: How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps)

I have heard that argument many times, usually from people using misdirection to try to argue against Linux security. I'm surprised you are using it, unless you are trying to pull our leg and it's pure bait.

It is clear that you cannot prevent everyone from purposely running something, but that's not the fault of the OS.

I can provide an even simpler virus:

1. Write an email with instructions for the user to run "sudo rm -fr /"

There are two kinds of attacks. The ones that rely on people's ignorance and action, and the ones that rely on the system vulnerabilities without the user's fault.

You will never going to get rid of the user ignorance. Even knowledgeable people may have a mental lapse.

i.e. a safe cap won't prevent a person from overdosing.

The issue when talking about Linux security is that it is more difficult to run malicious code without user's intervention.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx