[kwlug-disc] Linux viruses [was: Linus viruses]

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 20:13:50 EDT 2010

Linus has a virus? Oh no! I hope he can keep working on the kernel!
:^)

No and no are my answers. But from my perspective inside of the
security industry right now I can tell you that Linux is protected
only by economics. If Linux had more market share, I'm *sure* more Joe
User desktops would be getting compromised for botnets or credit card
numbers/banking passwords. And in Windows' defense, even on the
Microsoft platform you can operate without needing a virus scanner: as
long as you are patched and careful.

And just to pique your curiosity, maybe you're wondering how to write
a Linux virus?[1] (Oh, and the query that came up with that result?
"how to write a linux virus")

1 - http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229 (Abstract: How to write a
Linux virus in 5 easy steps)