[kwlug-disc] Linus viruses

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jul 27 19:20:31 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Insurance Squared Inc. <
gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> On another thread on this list, someone wrote:
> Time and time again we are seeing that even with the protections in place,
> JavaScript ends up doing more harm than good. Many of the problems would
> simple not exist if JavaScript were not there.
>
> I call foul :).  I'm on the interwebs pushing the 'any' key all day long on
> my linux desktop and I have 0 security issues with Java - Or anything else
> for that matter.  So I pose the following questions:
>
> 1) have you ever had your linux desktop hacked?  Or any type of security
> breach?

Desktop? No.

> 2) if not, do you even know anyone that's ever had their linux desktop
> hacked?

No.

> Realizing that webservers are an entirely different story.

Forget desktops for now ...

There are more serious issues with web applications, regardless of what
platform
they are written for.

For example, Cross Site Scripting (XSS)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting

A well crafted XSS attack can give a hacker access to administrator rights
on
your server.

Serious stuff, and Javascript enables that.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.