[kwlug-disc] DuckDuckGo.com -- an alternate search engine

Tue Jul 27 17:04:07 EDT 2010

On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 04:51:32 pm Ralph Janke wrote:
> Well.. Javascript is exactly not a black box. You can read all the
> Javascript that is loaded. Furthermore, Javascript was designed from the
> beginning to sandbox your browser (in clear distinction to ActiveX) from
> the rest of the computer.

Time and time again we are seeing that even with the protections in place,
JavaScript ends up doing more harm than good. Many of the problems would
simple not exist if JavaScript were not there.

This is not to say that JS is bad, but that even "designed from the beginning
to sandbox your browser" can be very difficult to achieve.

> Well.. if you don't agree to Javascript, some thing are just not possible.

Getting search results is certainly NOT one of them.

-A.