[kwlug-disc] DuckDuckGo.com -- an alternate search engine

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 27 16:51:32 EDT 2010

On 07/27/2010 04:38 PM, unsolicited wrote:
> Ralph Janke wrote, On 07/27/2010 12:32 PM:
>> I am not sure what the resistance against javascript in general is.
>
> Because it is a hidden black box that history has demonstrated can
> have nefarious elements. 'Nefarious' meaning different things to
> different people. (See Khalid's note.)

Well.. Javascript is exactly not a black box. You can read all the
Javascript that is loaded. Furthermore, Javascript was designed from the
beginning to sandbox your browser (in clear distinction to ActiveX) from
the rest of the computer.

Yes, I agree there are still some things that a problematic, but I would
challenge that with javascript (i.e greasemonkey) you can actually take
more control over
your browsing including checking for some security issues by Javascript.

> And if you don't agree, you usually don't get the value for which you
> went to the page in the first place. (Thus Khalid's graceful
> degradation comment.)

Well.. if you don't agree to Javascript, some thing are just not possible.

Ralph