[kwlug-disc] DuckDuckGo.com -- an alternate search engine

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jul 26 23:41:26 EDT 2010

And I've been using IxQuick on-and-off for years, and almost exclusively
for the last month:  https://ixquick.com

Not only did I set the default search bar to IxQuick (from
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=ixquick ) but I also
set Firefox's address bar to do keyword searches on IxQuick:

     1. type about:config in the address bar
     2. Acknowledge the potential for damaging your system
     3. Search for the keyword.URL entry
     4. Change it to https://ixquick.com/do/metasearch.pl?query=

IxQuick is a metasearch engine, which searches  All the Web, Digg,
Qkport, Ask/Teoma, EntireWeb, Wikipedia, Bing, Gigablast, Yahoo, Cuil
and  Open Directory.   Almost everything except Google.  Like DuckDuckGo
it claims to respect privacy by not recording IP addresses or cookies,
and keeping logs no longer than 48 hours.  Unlike DuckDuckGo I don't
think it's Open Source.

All in all, I've been very pleased with the results IxQuick provides.

--Bob.