[kwlug-disc] Access Restrictions on Tomato

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 26 10:11:51 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 01:27:47AM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:

> If the router has its time, then the access restrictions work.
> Otherwise they fail, and the wireless stays on even when it should be
> off.
>
> My question: how does Tomato actually check the access restrictions? I
> can see in NVRAM where the restrictions are defined, but don't know
> what is using those variables. If I knew what to type to make the
> route check the access restrictions, I could make a small script to
> first call NTP and then check the restrictions.

For those who care: I went code-diving into the (non-free) Tomato
source code. It looks like there is an "rcheck" command that is
supposed to handle these restrictions, and it looks like it is
supposed to be smart enough to handle the case when the time has not
been set. But the code does not appear to work correctly. Running

rc stop rcheck

in the SSH session manages to lock up the router pretty good, but

rc start rcheck

or

rc restart rcheck

or

rcheck

do not do much.

Then I started losing access restrictions altogether, and I got so
frustrated that I gave up on the firmware. This is so frustrating.

Maybe I have bad hardware, but different firmware is failing in
different ways.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org