[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sun Jul 25 05:14:02 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 09:06:31PM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> I know I am supposed to be cheering, but this story makes me kind of
> sad. Releasing your code as open source when you do so voluntarily is
> one thing. Being forced to release your code is something else
> entirely.

There are various options, as far as I know:

	- stop selling your product, since it contains other people's
		GPL'd code
	- pay a lot of money to obtain the rights to sell under some
		other license
	- GPL your own code to comply with the license.

Releasing your own code under GPL is often the best and easiest way
to move forward after a GPL violation, but it's not the only option.

The only people who should be panicking are those who use GPL code
while assuming the benefits only go one way.  If they want that, they
should be using BSD code, and stay away from GPL like the plague.
They shouldn't try to pull a fast one on the GPL, or they'll probably
get burned.

- Chris